Do you ever have those days when you feel like giving up on your dream? Everyone has something they are pursuing. It can be the dream of a successful business, finishing an education, having a baby, getting healthy, finding the love of your life, learning something new, conquering a fear and the list goes on. But like anything else in life that is worth something, you will be tested in your pursuit of your happiness.
Maybe your first attempt to own a business fails (this happened to me)? Maybe you got a terrible test result from the doctor? Maybe your first (or 10th) attempt at love has left you heartbroken? The key is to have faith and NEVER give up! Trust me when I say there are some things that I've pursued for over 14 years (and still counting)!!!!!!! That is a long time to not give up on a dream. But if you weigh it against your other option, which is saying: "I wish I would have tried" later on in life, the strength to push through somehow shows up every time!
Often friends ask me how I can push through despite all the things that have happened to me? To be honest, I’m always reminded of a few words an older gentleman spoke over my life 14 years ago. He said: Guuuuuuurllllll you're on fire, but when your fire burns out, YOU have got to set yourself on fire again! In other words, don’t wait for someone else to do it for you.
With that in mind I have developed a system and principals that works for me:
1) Never loose sight of where you're going. Whether you believe in the bible or not, there is awesome wisdom to be found there:
Jesus said to his disciples to get in the boat to the other side/shore. As soon as they started their journey, they got caught in a storm... They were never told to stay in the storm but rather to focus on the end destination, which was the "other side".
I think it's a great analogy of goals and dreams. You should focus on "the other side" and not get stuck in the current storm.
2) YOU have to believe in your dream as the journey can be extremely lonely and you have to be your own biggest cheerleader (or fire starter like that man said to me).
3) Surround yourself with positive, uplifting and ambitions people that are going in the direction you would like to head, as it's really true when they say you become just like the people you hang out with.
4) Put a few key words/prayers on your bathroom mirror to remind yourself daily that:
- Today is a new day; yesterday with all its problems is gone!
- Anything is possible today!
- Amazing things are coming your way today!
- Favor, blessing and open doors are coming your way!
- This could be the day you can be part of changing someone else's life forever!
(This list can go on and on. My "proclamation" list is many pages long)
5) Meditate daily. I use my prayer time to vent and write down my thoughts. The interesting thing is that I seriously see a shift in how I choose to react to what life throws at me on the days I skip my prayer/mediation/ vent and focus time. (Let’s just say, I’m a much better person when I start my day with prayer)
I also ask for wisdom, guidance and knowledge every day!
I wanted to share this as I have many of these kinds of days. Some days I am so on target with where I'm going and what I'm doing with my life while other days I completely loose sight of my destination and also loose heart because of it. That's called life!
Those are the days I have to remind myself of the wise word from that man 14 years ago: You set yourself on fire again!
I always say: Life will always have its ups and downs but it's how you react to those ups and downs that makes you life!
What's your dream? Be a conqueror and loose the ‘t in "I can't"! You CAN do all things...